7.01.2010

Sights To See


New York City is truly the greatest city in the world. I don't think I could ever put into words how much this city has changed me, inspired me, and molded me into the person I am today. It is a city of possibility and potential. It is beautiful, energetic, loud, poetic, dirty, cultured, creative, and bold. And there are so many things to see and do. After living here for seven years, I am still finding new adventures in the city that I call home. Here are some of the many amazing things to see and do while in New York City... This list may be a little random and over-crowded with pictures, but hopefully it will also be helpful.

Parks

Central Park: I have been here hundreds of times, and still have areas that I need to explore. It is really an amazing place to wander; there are countless bridges and tunnels, gardens, a lake, a reservoir, a castle, an ice skating rink, the list could go on and on... It is the perfect place for New Yorkers to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. And if you make it in far enough, you may even enjoy an afternoon free of sirens and car horns.

Washington Square Park: Ah, my old stomping ground. Lindsey and I loved to sit around the fountain, study, and catch up here while attending NYU. Washington Square Park is a great place to sit and people watch or read a great book. If you are there, make sure to stop at the Cake and Shake truck for a cupcake.

Bryant Park: This is a perfect place to stop and have a quick lunch on your way to the Public Library or Grand Central Station. I love getting a sandwich at 'wichcraft and relaxing at one of the tables on the outskirts of the park. You can borrow a book or newspaper in the outdoor Reading Room, play a game of ping-pong, chess, or backgammon, or ice skate in the winter. I also love shopping at the Holiday Shops, that are open from November-January.

Union Square: There is always action in Union Square. You can stroll through the Green Market (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays), get all of your holiday shopping done at the holiday market (Thanksgiving-Christmas Eve), and usually see a protest or performance of some kind on the southern end of the square. There are restaurants and stores surrounding Union Square, and it is a nice place to take a break and eat some food in between a long day of retail therapy or sight seeing.

Museums:

Guggenheim: Even if you do not have time to spend a whole day enjoying all this iconic museum has to offer, at least walk by and admire its architectural beauty. I love enjoying the exhibits as I slowly climb the spiraling walkways. And where else could you see a Picasso, Salvador Dali, and cars hanging from the ceiling exploding with lights? (temporary exhibit I saw in June 2007)


Stores/Shopping Areas:

Lime Light Marketplace: When I first moved to NYC, Avalon was the place to be- it was a hip club on 20th Street and 6th Avenue in an old church. I never made it there, but once I heard that the club had been converted into a marketplace full of little boutiques and food shops, I was in. The space is beautiful, the shops are unique, and there is a whole room dedicated to sweets (hello, Cupcake Stop). There is a Hunter stand, so if you are in need of new rain boots or rain clogs I recommend checking out their selection. 

Economy Candy: During one of my mom's visits to the city this year, we were on a mission to find a new bakery in the Lower East Side. As we were walking, we stumbled upon Economy Candy. The walls are stacked with boxes of bulk candy and oversized Pez dispensers. Our favorite part is their supply of retro candy/Old Time Favorites. This would be a great place to stock up on stocking stuffers for the holidays. 

*This is a work in progress, I will be adding to the list gradually... 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...